Some top tips from Roald Dahl Funny Prize nominated author Mark Lowery.
Creator of Socks Are Not Enough (which was shortlisted for The Roald Dahl Funny Prize 2012) and Pants Are Everything. Mark has run some brilliant workshops at the Roald Dahl Museum. Here are his top tips.
1. Read, read, read, then read some more. Try anything you can get your hands on.
2. Think about what you’re reading. Do you love it? Do you hate it? Why? Exactly what is so good or bad about it? How could you make it better?
3. Do stuff. Meet people. Try new things. Find out about people or events that interest you. This will all help you to come up with new ideas.
4. Write. Write anything: shopping lists for characters, adverts for new inventions, newspaper articles about imaginary events. Be creative and see what comes out of it.
5. Write only to entertain yourself. If you love it then maybe other people will too..
Find out more about Mark and his work on his website.